Sunday, December 5, 2010

Breastfeeding in the Subway

Today I breastfed Cupcake on a bench on the subway platform.  As we were halfway through the subway came, so I took her off the boob, and burped her as we got inside.  Then, once I found a seat, she kept eating.  It was a unique experience, to say the least.

If I'd had a choice, I wouldn't have done it there.  Too many people, too much movement, too much craziness.  However, we were with friends, and the way the schedule ended up working out, we walked around up to her feeding time.  I was concerned about it, but didn't know how to state that we needed to stop to feed her without feeling that I sounded like a lunatic.  Nate and I decided that the most reasonable thing would be to feed her in the subway, since we knew that we'd be in there for at least 1/2 hour.  It worked out.

Its one of the things that annoys me about MCAD and her feeding schedule.  I want to write an entire post on how her feedings work, actually.  But its weird to tell my friends that my adorable sleeping baby needs to be woken up to feed in the next 2o minute window or it could be bad for her health.  It sounds crazy even to me.

I struggle with how much to advocate for being inside somewhere to feed her, and how much to go with the flow and figuring that we'll get the feeding figured out.  I want to be flexible.  I don't want the MCAD schedule dictate how we live our lives, but at the same time, how can it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment