Sunday, June 19, 2011

I might be trying a new blogging style

I'm realizing that I'm not a good writer.  Not in the quality sense (though I am aware that my writing style would horrify my high school AP English teachers), but rather in the inspirational sense.  As in, I'm often not that inspired to sit down and blog.

Through the day, I have a constant commentary running through my head, and things I want to talk out, put down on paper/keyboard. But it's hard to find the time to finish a complete thought on the computer (specially now that one of my professional licensing exams is coming up).  But then I noticed that I'm very involved in the email threads for my mom group.  The difference?  Well, in addition to knowing in person most of the people in that group, it's also more of a Q&A environment. Someone has an issue and asks the group for feedback.  Sensing the immediate tangible concern, we answer our personal experience and what's working (or not working) for us.  There's an issue, there's something to write about.  None of this open ended essay-about-my-life trap I've been falling into with this blog.

So I've decided that I'm gonna pose certain questions to myself (most of which I will probably borrow from my mom group email threads) and answer them in this blog. Why here?  Well, it's hard to truly open up to fellow moms you know in person. At the end of the day, you don't want to look like the crazy mom who will still be dealing with diapers and rocking to sleep at age 8.  And since we are all so hard on ourselves, sometimes its hard to open up about how hard this really is,  or how intrinsically satisfying it can be.  At least it's hard to do it face  to face. Which is where a blog comes in, with it's layer of distance yet the promise of truth. 

Lets see if this experiment works.

No comments:

Post a Comment