Sunday, February 27, 2011

More awake time?

I've been debating what to do with Cupcake's schedule.  Lately, it seems that her awake/active time is lasting longer and longer.  Our nap system is not schedule based, but rather we respond to her cues.  And so far her naps have been sporadic at best, but one common element is that she now stays active longer between them.

It used to be that after 1.5 - 2 hours, Cupcake would be ready to crash.  She'd do the eye rubbing thing, fuss a bit, and I would know that it was time for her to go to sleepy town.  And as opposed to most sleep training advice, I wouldn't put her to sleep as soon as that happened, because then she'd just take longer to fall asleep.  I'd rock her and she'd to down within 10 minutes, I'd set her on the crib and she would sleep for 40 minutes.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  We had our system down, whether I was happy with it or not.

And it seems that the system has changed.  I'm not sure what's going on, but she just. won't. nap.  And she seems pretty content with it.  But I worry that less naps will affect how she sleeps at night, or that she'll get tired earlier.  Most of all, its important for us that she have a late bedtime, so Nate can maximize his time with her.

Today she was awake for 2 1/2 - 3  1/2 hours at a time, and still only sleeping 40 minute at a time.  What gives?  I was expecting her to nap longer if she was up longer, but that would make entirely too  much sense.  I'm fine with her taking less  naps, it would be preferable in fact, but not at the cost of her total sleep for the day.

Is it teething?  Is she just so distracted now when she nurses that she's permanently hungry?  Is this just a phase?  Are the sleep training books right?  Do I need to help her nap better?  Is her stuffy nose still affecting her?

And why we are asking questions, why does she still poop so much ?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment